Thursday, January 29, 2009

Summer Holiday In Wales?

Visit Wales Ad Campaign

It's official. Our credit crunch is really a recession (I think that we had already noticed!and I haven't heard one definitive answer on when the economy will grow again.

It’s that time of year where I start to think about where I want to go on holiday, but I want to be a little bit more careful with my pennies this year. My money can't be spent to the same level abroad now and cheap flights aren't as available as they were before this credit mess. What if I book a flight and the company folds before my holiday or leaves me stranded on a tropical island (well, that wouldm't be so bad!)!).

Being sick to my back teeth of hearing about the credit crunch, I decided to share my woes with my mate. How to find a decent holiday whilst not really having the money to spend as normal. A holiday in Wales is what he suggested. Wales!! Really!? I was lead to believe that the weather spoiled the trip! And it’s full of sheep, leaks and daffodils and, and, and Wales holiday cottages and blokes named Dafydd!

Apparently, ‘it’s not unusual’, for people to stereotype Wales and the Welsh in this way - the weather is a little dodgy and there are blokes named Dafydd (but not all of them) but there is so much to do that the weather doesn’t spoil a thing. He kindly informed me that preparing for bad weather means that good weather is an added treat.

I thought I better have a little look. I jumped onto my laptop, fired up the internet access and plunged into a world of Wales on the web. When I’m feeling particularly lazy, I go straight to youtube.com – saves me reading stuff and I found the following video which is part of an advertising campaign for visitwales.co.uk suggesting things you can do in Wales.

Apparently you can go cycling, play at boats with kids, stay in a blue hotel (which looks like a toy – holiday cottages Wales stylie!) which is full of local stuff like the blankets, the art on the wall – even the beds. Jumping off cliffs, supping local wines and eatting local foods like crab and sausages!) or locally produced food, cooked by a Michelin star chef. My god, the list is exhaustive.

So, yep – I’m sold – I’m going to give it a go, safely in the knowledge that I am helping our slowing economy by keeping British money in Britain.

 

 

No comments: